Apropos of Nothing



I just want to put it out there that I really like the word "dough hook." I was reading the little cookbook that came with the standing mixer which lists recipes requiring the dough hook attachment--breads, pastas and such. If it's any indication that despite doing urban plannerly things all day, I am still a big English language geek at heart, I then had to deconstruct why I like it so much. Here's what I've come up with:

I like saying dough hook because I like the assonance from the "ou" and the "oo," and that fact that they don't quite rhyme. It might even be a stretch as a slant rhyme. And then I really like the mental image of something as unyielding as a hook with that hard "k" (fish hook, Captain Hook) mixing up something soft and pudgy like dough (doh!). So there they are, those two words that sound alike and are utterly different, yet go together in my standing mixer.

the dough hook kneads
to combine water and flour;
bread rising in the pan.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...