Best Quiche Ever and Some Ford Pics


When I was in my early twenties and just starting to cook for myself, I felt like I'd never reach the point of "cooking by feel" the way my mama mostly does. While I still use recipes most of the time, there are a few staples where I can feel my way through--namely quiche (and by association, fritatta).  As much as I'd like to thank my mum, it's really Julia Child and her book Julia's Kitchen Wisdom to whom I owe my confidence with quiche.


So tonight I took the flavors from this savory gallete and adapted it to what I had: a frozen whole wheat pie crust and a bunch of eggs (this also meant a more filling meal for the bottomless pit otherwise known as the Mountain Man.)  Here's what you need:
1 store-bought pie crust. (whole wheat is so yummy and maybe a little healthier)
2-3 oz pancetta, chopped small
2 leeks, whites only, thinly sliced and rinsed
1 shallot, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp sugar
3 eggs
1 cup of heavy cream or milk or do 1/2 cup of each.  
Salt, pepper, nutmeg
1/2 cup grated Gruyere, plus a little extra for the top

Blind bake the pie crust according to package directions.  Set aside and set oven heat to 375 F.  Heat a large skillet over med-high heat and add the pancetta.  Cook until crispy and fat has rendered.  Remove the pancetta with a slotted spoon and set aside.  Toss the leeks, garlic and shallot in to the skillet, sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper, reduce heat to low and cook until caramelized, about 15 minutes.  Stir enough that the smaller bits don't burn or stick to the skillet.  Toss all this with the pancetta.

Whisk eggs together and then add the milk.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg, then add the pancetta and leek mixture.  Whisk in the cheese.  Pour into the pre-baked crust, sprinkle with some extra cheese and bake on a baking sheet for 35 minutes, or until puffed and golden.  Remove and let stand for a few minutes to cool on a wire rack.

Did I remember to take photos? Nope.  But here are some really cute ones for Ford in his little Rikshaw Designs kurta at 9 months old (world's fastest 9 months following the world's slowest):
DPP_0004
DPP_0003
DPP_0006
DPP_0008


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...