Magic Morels

I'd walked past the wild mushroom man at the Farmer's Market two weeks in a row, telling myself that the mushrooms were just too expensive, and I'm a take 'em or leave 'em person when it comes to fungi.  I'll eat them, but they're not exactly my favorite and please don't ever make me eat a slimy portobello cap and tell me it's just as good as a hamburger.  It's just not so.

 DPP_690
But back to my story.  On week 3, the mushroom man had fresh morels that looked as if they'd been picked just the day before. The morel is a mushroom even a lukewarm mushroom eater can love.  I knew that with fettuchine and some leftover spicy Italian sausage at home, I had the perfect accompaniments to a very special spring dish.  It was time to splurge.

Into the skillet went the chopped morels with garlic, olive oil and Italian parsely:
DPP_692
DPP_693
Then the sausage and a little cream (I used half and half and cut it with chicken stock):
DPP_694
Tossed with the pasta in a large bowl before serving, and then sprinkled liberally with fresh grated Parmasean and more parsley. 
DPP_695
No leftovers that night!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...